Monday, January 28, 2008
Check it Out
So I have recently been called to the Enrichment Committee in our ward and have been put to work. Not many women come to Enrichment in our ward so we've devised a new plan: Divide and conquer! Check out our blog at www.driggs1st.blogspot.com and if you have suggestions please let me know via comments on THIS post. You all rock and I hope you are having a nice January!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hi Adrienne,
What a great blogspot! How long has it been going? Do many check it? Is there someone who keeps it going? It looks like you are offering a great variety of things. Way to go!
Yeah, wow. Cool blog. I want to come learn how to use photoshop! You guys have a TON of activities. Are they well attended? Is it the big enrichment night activities that you struggle with or the little ones at getting good attendance?
Nobody goes to enrichment night here in Milwaukee - it's so weird to me because it was the super cool thing to do in NY. Everyone went, everyone looked forward to it and everyone had fun. But maybe that's why they put you on the committee - our ward in NY had lots of young people, so it drew in more young people to come. The enrichment nights were always very classy (maybe that's because it was NY), but the food was always very high quality, nice touches here and there, often in people's nice homes - which made for a more intimate setting, plus people are always excited to see someone's house. One time we just did a game night with some big group games. That was fun. Many times there were little mini segments where people with expertise would talk. I remember planting our own herbs (basil, cilantro, etc) one time to take home. One time they went to an opera in central park for enrichment. Sometimes they just had a nice dinner. I can't remember them all. As far as the mini activities - do you guys have playgroup in your ward? I didn't know it could be a calling until I was called to be in charge of our playgroup. That seems to make some of the women more comfortable around each other, which I really just think is a big factor in getting anything well attended - if people know and are comfortable around each other so they want to see the other people they expect to be at activities. I think in NY you probably feared being left out and not knowing what you missed because it was always cool and what people talked about. Maybe your blog, and showing pictures of other activities can generate that kind of hype.
But it looks like you have a ton of stuff going on and your blog is awesome! Let us know what ideas you come up with and what turns out to be really successful!
Susie,
I just barely got it going, along with the calendar, so it's pretty much me keeping it up until the rest of the committee women feel comfortable using blogger.
Jen,
If you want to fly out an join me be my guest! We have like ZERO attendance right now so all the activities are planned and hopefully people will start to get hyped about it all after attending one or two. I LOVE your ideas about what you've done in NY. Please send me more if you have any, we are really trying to reach all the demographic that we can, I loved the herb planting idea, that one is brilliant! It's hard to go from one ward that has great enrichment, to another one that has nothing. We have not much of a budget so the mini's really will rely on a woman hosting a more intimate gathering in her home to offset our non-existant budget. The play group thing is hard because our ward won't let us use the building for play groups. They are "stiffed-necked" if you know what I mean. ANd with frigid winters here, it really is only a summer thing at the park since use of the building is prohibited. I'm really hoping that once we have our first activity and get pictures posted that it will be a great way for everyone to get excited. And if you want to learn photoshop, I'll hopefully have a video of each demo posted after the event so you should check it out. And not to be far fetched or uncrediting, I got the idea from other blogs I've visited that were RS blogs for their ward. It then developed into a larger scheme based off of my friends blog kwernerdesign.com/blog. She is an SU demonstrator and designs product for them as well and posts these great short videos of the cards she makes. I then had an epiphany and decided that I could totally do that with our RS mini's. Just bring a camcorder and record the cooking demo, or the photoshop demo and then upload it to the blog. In all fairness to you, you are really the inspiration behind it all. It all started when you started this blog, and I never jumped on the bandwagon with my own blogger dabbling until these last 6 months. You are way ahead of the game woman! THANKS!
Our bishopric feels that it is worth every penny to have a good supper on our Enrichment Nights. The women so enjoy visiting together, socializing, and getting ideas for family dinners, etc. They deserve to have the dads fix dinner or order pizza once a month.
One successful evening we held was themed, "Knit together in love.... (from the scriptures). We had nearly 50 afghans displayed (draped over a chair up on a table with white paper cover). We did simple knitting and simple crocheting (the dishcloths that are so great), and a simple knitting pattern that uses old yarn ends.
Laurels are invited a couple of times a year to our very best events (and once a month with their leaders they come to Sunday R.S. meeting), so they will have a good opinion of fun things in Relief Society.
xoxocyh Carolyn. How great it is to have a blog!
Post a Comment