I talked to Jane about 7 AM our time this morning. She was with the older boys at the school when the earthquake happened. Tomorrow, or now I guess today in Japan it is supposed to be their big festival/carnival/fundraiser. (Can't remember what she calls it exactly. But I believe that was why she was at the school, getting ready for it.)
Greyson and all Elementary students had the day off as it was parent/teacher conferences. Greyson probably had the worst experience. He was over swimming at the American Club. He was on the top floor where the swimming pool is. They all got out of the pool but then the pool did it's own type of tsunami thing. All the water went one way and then back the other way and down the stairs. From what I understand. Scary and freaky.
On Jane's ride way home she stopped at the store and she said the shelves were literally empty. She was at home listening to CNN when I reached her. She said when she got home she had about 15 phone messages. 10 of them from Mark. Cell phones were not working, only the landline. I am a bit confused because I think maybe Mark was trying to fly to Japan. I'm wondering if he was coming for the weekend or the festival or just trying to come and be with his family. I have not heard anything else on that.
Greyson returned home while I was talking to Jane. He had been with a family from the American Club. He was going to sleep over but that family had so many others over that couldn't get home. Also I'm sure Jane just wanted to have her boys near.
Morgan and Jackson had not returned from school yet and by then they would have been on the bus for about 8 hours. While talking with her the school emailed that their bus was going to be another hour.
I haven't talked to them again but I'm thinking the no news is good news saying holds true. I am hoping they have slept some and are possibly sleeping in.
Jane said they were fine but definitely shaken up over the whole thing.
Here is the amazing news!!!! She wanted to get home and clean up the mess, such as broken glass before the boys arrived. There wasn't a single broken glass or any signs of damage at all. She said they must be living in the strongest place!!!! Even the chopsticks remained, they hadn't moved. So that is good news! That is what I am thinking about and picturing as these aftershocks continue.
Julie
Friday, March 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thanks, Julie. We have all been very concerned. Love, Hugh and Sharon
Yes, thanks to Julie for the report to us all. I have not talked to anyone there myself, but certainly have been thinking about them all. Although they have regular earthquakes, and the children learn in Kindergarten what to do in case the principal or teacher says, "Rumble, Rumble!", it would be a whole other thing to go through something like this. Our thoughts are with them all -- and what tales they will have to tell -- all true!
Much love to all, Carolyn
Thanks for letting us know. We've all been wondering! We'll have to have a family fireside when they come for a visit and let each one tell us their story!
Post a Comment