Monday, June 23, 2008

I can't remember my sign in info at the moment, so I'll just use Susie's. I just wanted to add that my knee replacement experience is not a typical knee replacement experience, jolly though it may be! For anyone who may be considering total knee replacement at any time in life, you will not be having the experience I've had. I don't know anyone in our family that will ever have knees like mine. This recovery is extreme because the knees are extreme. My Dr., who specializes in knees, hips and trauma has never seen knees like mine. He had to construct every surface, and remove a lot of extra bone. Most people who get total knees have something that remains intact, or an area of torn cartilage, (rather than no cartilage,) etc. I don't think I've had my tibial process since 6th grade.

On a lighter side, I'm recovering here at Susie's in her guest bedroom, which has beautiful lavendar walls, on Mom's bed. My medicine is in her nightstand drawer and I get to look at her picture on the dresser, sitting next to a beautiful rose bush centerpeice. I can honestly say I have felt both Mom's and Dad's presence during my knee experience. (Dad certainly has less pain tolerance than Mom.) I had a tough transition from the surgical spinal block to IV pain meds. My PCA pump had a connecting piece that was broken. As many of you know, my leg stuck out laterally from the left knee before being surgically corrected. The muscles really wanted to go back to that position & after a few hours of unsuccessful pain management I started to reach down to move the leg back to it's original position myself when I heard, "The muscles don't belong there, Dear." Yes, I know. I do feel like Mom stuck in there with me 'til the pain was under control, and am very grateful to have a straight left leg. I guess that's not really, "on the lighter side!" It sure is comforting to be surrounded by visual reminders of Mom and Dad as I take this time to regroup. Thanks to each of you for your help with Katie & Ian, for putting my name in the temple, and for your encouragement. I do feel like this is a great accomplishment and big blessing to have a knee that works well.

Love,
Linda

And for those of you who had no idea I was even in the hospital . . . sorry. I had to just get it overwith before I chickened out.

6 comments:

Stefanie Miller said...

Linda and Mom, Thanks for the pictures and update! I'm so glad the scary part is over. Hope you're able to have some nice rest and relaxation.

Sharon said...

Hey, You and Tiger Woods both had knee surgery in Utah. He had Drs Rosenbergh and Cooley. Bet his doesn't look as good as yours does!

Jen I said...

WOW. After knowing how bad I hate recovering from childbirth, I've realized I never wish ANY type of recovery on ANYONE!! At least you're sounding cheerful, or at least taking it in with some good humor. I can't imagine.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are in such pleasant surroundings and that things have gone remarkably well, albeit insufficient pain medication at one point. I watch my knees every single day, plant each foot carefully, and hope to live to a very, very ripe old age without knee surgery. Hope it works. Blessings upon your head and upon Susan. I know how comfortable and pleasant her home is, having spent many quilting hours there.

xoxocyhunsaker

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are in such pleasant surroundings and that things have gone remarkably well, albeit insufficient pain medication at one point. I watch my knees every single day, plant each foot carefully, and hope to live to a very, very ripe old age without knee surgery. Hope it works. Blessings upon your head and upon Susan. I know how comfortable and pleasant her home is, having spent many quilting hours there.

xoxocyhunsaker

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are in such pleasant surroundings and that things have gone remarkably well, albeit insufficient pain medication at one point. I watch my knees every single day, plant each foot carefully, and hope to live to a very, very ripe old age without knee surgery. Hope it works. Blessings upon your head and upon Susan. I know how comfortable and pleasant her home is, having spent many quilting hours there.

xoxocyhunsaker