The first site we visited was Masada, an Essene stronghold in the Judean Wilderness, right by the Dead Sea. This elevated mesa was perfect for a defensive structure. We took the tram up (thankfully) in the sweltering heat.
These stones are hewn in round shapes not for launching, but for dropping over the edge of this high plateau-like fortress. Looks painful
This is my Joaquin Phoenix face.
Here is the Dead Sea as seen from Masada. We swam at the Dead Sea during this field trip, but I didn't take my camera because I didn't want to ruin it. What a strange, otherworldly experience feeling so buoyant. We floated in it and then rubbed mud all over ourselves. It's 1300 feet below sea level, lowest on earth. 6 million tons of water evaporate off the Dead Sea daily. I'll post pictures when I get them from someone else's camera.
Sweat from every pore. I think it was mid-30's that day
Claire and I @ Ein Gedi, where David hid from Saul
Qumran. The Essenes lived in this city where they made/preserved the Dead Sea Scrolls. They were found up in that cave.
1 comment:
Hi Matt--It's great to see these wonderful pictures and to read your commentary. What a great experience! I'd love to see pictures of the Jerusalem Center and the Orson Hyde Park if you can do it! Hope you're healthy, and surviving the heat! Love you, Mimi
Post a Comment