Thursday, December 11, 2008

Alive and kicking

An opportunity to participate in an evening of recruiting at BYU
turned into a blessing in disguise as I was able to see my mother
today for the first time since her stroke.

While she couldn't quite touch her toes or sing and dance as she is
inclined to do, as you can see from the picture below she is back at
her cheerleading routine. Mind you, that's her leg that was described as "noodley" by Dad as she was being rushed to the hospital half paralyzed a week and a half ago. I've never said this and sincerely meant it until now, but it's truly a Christmas miracle.

As documented by this pitcure all the encouraging news is in fact
true: she's experienced a remarkable recovery. And don't be fooled by her being in bed--when I arrived this evening she was up and at 'em standing, sitting, doing everything but jumping jacks. But it's not over, occupational and physical therapy are still on the path to 100%.

She is a very happy girl with a fresh perspective on life that
inspires me. And I don't believe I've ever seen my parents so relaxed, nor felt their love so obviously for one another.

I love you mom.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!
WAY TO GO, MARTHA.
Great Photo and great report, Matt.
All Martha's family, including her auntie in Arizona, are cheering...Martha's many friends, too.Great happy sign that right leg up in the air.Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Martha you are amazing! Keep up the good work. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
We will all be monitoring our selves better for a stroke.

Love, Diane and Jerry Jacobs

Susan said...

Wow, Matt, thanks for posting in your inimitable, style. Who wouldn't be kicking up her feet just to have you home? Thanks for the great picture and report!

Stefanie Miller said...

I love it, Matt! Thank you so much for posting the picture and insightful comments. I'm really happy for all of you, in the ways that this has been a blessing. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Three cheers for Matt! And a thousand more for Mark & Martha, and all the Moenches for their tireless efforts at making the best of life. Ian took one look at this picture and said, "Hey! That's her right leg!" I especially have to thank Mark for installing all those handrails & high toilet seats just for me!

Linda

Anonymous said...

And I love you, Matt. Thanks for loving my sister. You, your dad, Adri & Pat really know what matters most now: each other.

Love,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Ya--hooooo!!!! I've never seen such a beautiful picture in my life! And I'm very serious. I'm going to print it and hang it on my refrigerator with the new magnets I bought just for family Christmas pictures. What a thrill, and what a wonderful Christmas gift. Every year it seems there has been one special Christmas gift. Once it was a beautiful story by LeJeune about our Grandpa Young. Once it was a letter I received on Christmas Eve (his birthday) from Steve Tempest who was on a mission. One year it was Santa Clausing with Kathryn "on a nickel." Another year it was the words to "Dearest Children God is Near You" we all received printed on red paper with a nice note from Mother and Daddy. Many years ago it was a beautiful letter written by Uncle Stuart that we have read over and over through the years at Christmas time. There have been so many treasured Christmas gifts and memories--but this is one for the record books! SO MUCH love to Martha and Mark, Pat, Shelby, adorable Max, Adrienne, Brian, darling Dave and Evelyn, and Matt who is partly mine....Mimi

Anonymous said...

Love it! What a wonderful picture! What a relief to see you smiling and kicking Martha!!!! We love you and your family!!!!

Julie

Anonymous said...

We are so happy to hear of your quick recovery! Keep up the good work!

Love,

The Freedmans